Could this turn into a scary situation?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Could this turn into a scary situation?

Post by rocknrollmommy616 on Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:54 am

I have a question for you pet owners out there, namely, cats. I have a nine year old calico who is very fat and hs recently made it her job to be what I can only describe as an attention whore lol. She has also been really snoopy lately. With all the changes we've made to our house recently, she has been really curious about stuff. She skulks into closets and lays under the beds and such. These things are all fine. But the other day we set up the crib for little joseph in case my SIL didn't get us our bassinet in time (its a hand me down issue). So I'll be sitting in here on the computer (the baby room is also the office) and the cat will sashay into the room and then hop right up into the crib! At first it was okay because I was just like, "I understand you are curious but you can't be in this bed. this is not your bed!" She likes to sleep on the edge of our bed, so I can see the cats reasoning. Not to mention its higher up than normal and if you have a cat, you get what I'm talking about. The weird thing is, she doesn't climb up on my mom's bed or anything, so why should she be so interested in the crib? Well, I got to thinking about it the other day, and I remembered hearing from someone that they had heard a couple of horror stories of cats climbing into cribs while babies were sleeping and sitting on them and suffocating them. Now, I know my cat would not intentionally do something evil like that. But she CAN be affectionate and has been known to lay on our chests on very rare occasions. My question is this: has anyone else had this issue with their cat? Did they stop doing this AFTER the baby was born? If not, how did you get them to stop?

I really don't want to get rid of my cat because I really love her, but if she is going to be a hazard to my baby, I may have to get over my love for her and get rid of her. Sad HELP?!
rocknrollmommy616

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/kandykisses11388

Back to top Go down

Re: Could this turn into a scary situation?

Post by PolloLoco75 on Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:17 am

Bekah - Some cats have been known to get into cribs with babys and cuddle upto them because they are warm, preventing them from breathing and ending tragically. However, all is not lost. There is something out on the market called something like a crib tent its like a mesquito netting (I think) that you hang over the crib and the cat cant get in it. It is also still breathable so a baby can be in it. I also suggest a spray bottle of water and everytime she gets near the crib say NO firmly and squirt her with the water. This is also a detourant. Hopefully with those things there will be no need to get rid of her.
PolloLoco75

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rocknrollmommy616 on Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:25 am

I like that crib tent idea. I've tried water with her before and she just ignores it and gets up there when I'm not around. This was actually a couch issue I'm refering to here, but I almost think I'm going to just have to keep the door closed. Except that scares me even more because what if something happens? I guess a baby monitor would prevent that. I didnt get one tho b/c my sister never used one with her first and said she got one with her second and never really used it! *sigh* I dunno what to do other than that crib netting thing. I'm gunna go google that!
rocknrollmommy616

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/kandykisses11388

Back to top Go down

Post by ladydy on Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:32 am

Bekah, I got a netting that fits over pack & play & would also stretch over the crib from BRU. It's not sturdy though, like if the cat jumps on it it won't hold them up it would sink down into the crib. There may be something more stable out there...this one is mostly like to keep bugs out if you have the PNP outside.
Diana
ladydy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mnelson80 on Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:44 am

Bekah- When I had DD I had a cat. I wouldn't have known at all that he was getting in the crib except he was all black and the crib sheets were yellow. I thought, no.. he won't go in there. Wrong O! He would sleep in there with the stuffed animals (I had them sitting in there before she was born). I was a little shocked by it, but didn't worry too much.

However after she was born I never really saw him in there. He would sniff on her and stuff if she was on blankets on the floor, but I never really saw him in her room. So maybe right now it's just the "new" furniture she's breaking in and curious about. Otherwise it sounds like one of those nets would be a good solution. I never really did anything and we didn't have any problems, but cats personalities are just as different as people so I can't say anything for sure. Just my experience.

View user profile http://mommieslikeus.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RobbieandLexisMommy on Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:16 pm

I would personally keep the cat out of the room until the baby is old enough to push it away...you can never be too careful. However, I grew up with cats and my mom tells me stories with how they would find their way into my crib and sleep with me....lol

We had cats in the house until recently when I kicked them outside - i couldnt deal with their peeing, flinging poo, and meowing at all hours..but they were never allowed in our room - we kept the door shut.

RobbieandLexisMommy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jessijennings on Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:43 am

I use to keep our cats out of the bedroom, I just got sick of the hair and trying to keep DHís uniforms cat free was a nightmare if they where allowed in.. they loved to get into his uniform bag and sleep.. its like between trying to train DH to zip the thing up and train the cat to stay out of it.. blah..
Our friend has a little kitten and it kind of annoys me they donít have any flee meds on her just a flee collar. I told them you know that really is just to protect her face its suppose to keep the fleaís from going under it and getting on her face but it doesnít really help that much and besides the huge problem is her licking the eggs and getting worms.. they where like yeah but advantage is soooo expensive.. tuff it up or donít have a cat! Seriously..
I love that cat but its sooo small it really worries me.. plus every time DH comes back from over there I swear I see fleas in our apartment.. Iím probably just paranoid but I donít want fleaís biting my baby!

jessijennings

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/za_paper

Back to top Go down

Post by Kim on Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:45 am

I would either keep that room off limits for the cat...or try the tent. The monitor will be good, but if there is nothing to hear (the cat and the baby being quite) you are never going to know...
Kim

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sanderson0705 on Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:00 pm

They make something that is like a "lid" for the crib specifically to keep cats out of cribs. It is sturdy and breathable but I have idea where you would find it. Maybe ask a vet? I'm sure google would give a billion results Smile
sanderson0705

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top